Sunday, February 05, 2006

Patience & updates on the DK/Muslim cartoon dispute.

So I guess there are some outtages on Blogger, and that is presumably the explanation for why my freedom of speech post is not viewable right now. Have patience, if you want to comment, hopefully it will be back up soon. Meanwhile, the latest news is that three embassies have been set ablaze as a result of protests over the cartoons in question. Danish and Norwegian embassies in Syria were set on fire as well as the Danish embassy in Beirut. Danes are being asked to leave certain countries as soon as possible for their own safety. Things are still only escalating as far as I can see.

I am feeling really angry about all of this. First of all, I love Denmark, and I have a lot of family there. Second, though I find the cartoons objectionable, I disagree with the Muslims' complaint. Third, NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF THESE THREATS. So far the DK government has refused to spologize because they have no say over what is printed in newspapers (and rightly so.) So if the muslims who are making hell for Danes get their way, that means that the DK will be made responsible for its newspaper's content. To prevent future upsets like this, the DK gov will have to approve all items printed. This is, in other words, state-regulated censorship. No doubt other countries would follow suit to prevent attacks. THIS IS BAD BAD BAD!!!!

Back to the full blog...

No comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Tech Blog